Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Tattooing Grace



I haven't been able to go to church in a while. Either because of sickness or because I have another headache, or simply because I don't feel like dragging all the kids out. I love the church we are at. It holds sweet and kind people in it. I don't think I've ever been to a place where there were so many thinkers, artists of all kinds, and introverts in one room! Good night! I love how the sermons are Love driven, giving us things to think about and the kind of church we need to be. The focus is grace in it's truest form.

But as I sit at home, missing out on it, sunday after sunday, small group after small group... I start to disconnect. And that's...... bad for me. Really bad. Insecurities creep in. My introverish behavior worsens and then I ultimately feel defeated. Displaced. Why?

I can only root it back to the pain. A pain that my heart has carried for a few years now about church. Some very specific moments, along with some very general perspectives. I've tried to come up with a million reasons why it got to me so bad and how things are so wrong, and how I need to "let that go". But you know? It's hard. To let go. (oh yes... Let It Go is now running through my head... dang it.) Anywho.

I had yet another set back recently that, as always, brought me to tears about these past hurts and I remember telling my husband this, "Why can't I just heal faster?!"

Have you ever felt such pain that you just want it to finally stop? You want it to leave you be? My guard is up so high right now, but at the same time, I'm so desperate for the fellowship. So desperate to smile at a stranger when we pass one another and make it a real smile. Desperate to know the people that surround me and laugh with them and cry with them. I've barely given them a chance. Such sweet people that have wronged me in no way and still fear remains in my heart, nudging me out the door.

I know the truth. I know we are all human and make mistakes. I know that I can't expect any kind of perfection out of anyone, especially myself, because the mess is what makes the fellowship that much more beautiful. Or as Momastery likes to put it, "brutiful".  

The church (in the global sense) is moving. I can feel it and have felt it for quite some time, but never has it been more evident to me as it is now. So many hurtful doctrines and leadership, creating a growing group of outcasts. The more people I talk to about this very concept, the more that come forward about how they've had a painful experience with church too. And a lot of it, if not all of it, screams legalism. Churches that take their rules and regs too far, to the letter of the law, and then preach about grace. I believe the church is dividing more and more, between legalism and grace (but I'll write about that some other time).

Now I admit I'm not a very graceful person. I'm working on it. But I tell you, with the pain I carry and then when reaching up for some kind of comfort, some kind of reasoning, some kind of answer..... Grace is the name I'm given.

Jesus gave Grace.

But it's not just about giving grace to those who hurt me, but it's also about wearing grace for those that I may hurt in the future if I don't. Giving grace because I know what it feels like to feel outcast. And I must not forget myself, giving myself grace enough to show up. With all my mess.... just show up. 

Finding these people that have been hurt too brings both hope and sadness. Because some have found the gems (churches) where they have found graceful fellowship again and that's a great thing! (Yes, they are out there!) But some... haven't been able to find it yet. Or they don't want to find it. And I have to allow them their process, just as I'm allowed mine.

I know the pain will stop in the end, but I'm not at the end and neither are you. I feel I will quite probably carry this pain with me everywhere I go. Like a scar. But I have my whole life to live and so do you. So what do I do with this pain and this scar?

See it as a "brutiful" tattoo and....

Look at it and Remember.

Remember Grace. 

Remember to give it AND to receive it. 

Because it's one of the most important things you can do for yourself and for others.

Pain forces us to remember where we've been, so then maybe we can find where we need to go from here.




7 comments:

  1. Well said my sweet daughter... music to my own ears. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again i feel as if you've peeked into my heart and put words where i couldn't find them. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I'm realizing more and more how big the world of hurt is about this and journeying through how to deal with this new knowledge, experience, and hurt. The group just keeps getting bigger.

      Delete
  3. Great article! Thanks for being so transparent and saying what so many of us feel or have felt. Where would any of us be without His grace, which He is so pleased to give us. I have come to understand that grace is truly a gift and cannot be worked up or purchased. It is a gift that only God can give so we can receive it and give it out. You testimony reminds me of Paul's words in 1 Cor. 13:12; Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror, then we shall see face to face... Hooray for us that we are His workmanship, created by Him and for Him to do what He calls us to do. We all need to remember that we are salt and light to this world, even in our mess. Jesus never called us to "get better" and then be used by Him. Lets continue to give ourselves the grace that He died to give us and remember to give it out just as abundantly. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I like that. Jesus never called us to get better and THEN be used. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. We left our last church cause they had alcohol at the mens events. We are a recovery family. We need church to be safe from those temptations.

    ReplyDelete