Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Pure Mother's Day Gift.

Oh Mother's Day.

It's a day that some either hate or love... or both.

Some like to do grandiose things, while others just like the simple, "Happy Mother's Day!" from their children's lips. For some it brings too much pain to celebrate at all.

I'm not big on holidays like this in particular. Mother's day reminds me of the children I don't have here with me. And Father's day reminds me of the dad I don't have here with me. It's hopeless to fight it.

This morning, my husband had to work. It sucked. There was no breakfast made for me. I woke earlier to an infant that needed fed and bathed. Then had to wake, feed, bathe, dress the other 4. All in time to make sure that I was ready to leave for church with everyone in tow, as the husband is expected to be here just in time to take us. Happy Mother's Day to me! Right?

Actually, it wasn't so bad. I did good getting everyone ready in time. Time to spare to even sit down and write! As I made my own bacon and eggs, my children (with no prompting, I might add) stood in the doorway with bright smiles as they exclaimed, "Happy Mother's Day!" and handed me a gift. It was a colorful bracelet they had bought, so secretly, from the market during the plant sale. I had my son put it on me as I told them how beautiful it was. They pointed out their favorite parts about it along with various facts like... how many rows of beads there were. It was the sweetest thing. Just me and the commotion of my kids.

Had my husband been there, it would've felt a little, or very staged, which would've taken that pure edge away from it.

I'm glad my husband had to leave me for this time, giving my children a chance to show their love to me on their own volition. That meant more to me than the gift itself.

It made me think about offering. How God wants our praise and our offerings to be pure. Coming on our own volition to give. The actual gift isn't the point. It's the honest intention behind it.

They love me.

1 comment:

  1. You are just the sweetest! You're a wonderful mother and a wonderful daughter to this mother.

    ReplyDelete