Thursday, February 25, 2010

Curious Hospital


I'm writing two different posts about my day at the neurologist's appt. because there are distinctly two different emotions.

As we drove the hour and a half, it took to get to this neurosurgeon, I was sick with anxiety. I was glad and excited that it was finally here and that we were going to finally get some good answers. Then I was also sick with nerves, I was nervous about what he was going to tell us and what if I don't like him?
Josh and I talked the whole way there, I read a little to him out of our "car" book, "A Grief Observed"- CS Lewis. (good book)

We got to this massive hospital, parked, set Tesh up in the stroller and away we went to explore the place she is to have surgery. Within a fashion, we found our way to the clinic. We waited for a long while, and noticed that some were taking pagers out and then coming back when paged for their appt. so....... we jumped on the band wagon. We explored a little bit of the hospital. My nerves were getting a little easier, getting to know the place a little better. I began to imagine what it's going to be like being here, and eating in that cafeteria when our little girl is recovering.
I found that hospital very curious though. As we walked the halls, we ran into certain sitting areas and cafe's as we passed. There were medical personnel, patients, family/friends waiting with their loved ones. People were staring at Tesh, but in the same, I was looking at them. Both sides, seeking out "what is wrong with that person?" Some have been here for days, some for months. You could never really tell what their situation was.
We stopped at this cafe cause, of course, Josh HAD to get coffee. I was looking and watched all the people sitting at the tables. Some were talking and laughing like it was a complete oasis for them. Others, had very tired expressions on their faces, not speaking so much to the person sitting next to them. I saw this teenage girl, sitting alone, with her ipod in her ears, and her phone texting away. She had bags under her eyes. I wondered 'Is she here with a sibling? or a parent?'
While we were looking at books, our very loud pager went off. We looked at eachother and thought, this is it! Let's go! As we made our way back to the clinic, I saw a nurse pushing a wheelchair along with all these cords and tubes. In the chair was a another teenage girl, with her face engrossed in texting her friends. I had to smile inside. Nothing will stop a teen from being a teen. :)





Anyway, we sat for a few minutes and were finally called into the room. We sat in there for a while, so much so, we got bored and started taking a bunch of pictures.

Then he finally came in..... with a mission in his eyes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment