Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Thou Shalt Be Healed...or Not... whatever.....

My dad and I :) 
Hunched forward in pain, a man I've known as far back as I can remember, moves one step at a time. He humbly admits, "I really think I only have 6 months left. I hope this isn't a reflection on my faith." 

~
Miraculous healing is hard to hear for someone who's been in my shoes. Sure, the bullets could have stopped when my cousin pulled the trigger. The cancer could have dissipated before it took my dad's life. Or better yet, we could have caught it in time to avoid the suffering. My daughter could have started breathing finally after all my desperate pleading. The rope could have torn. The car could have stopped.

But alas, these things didn't happen. Everyone has to die someday. It's just the facts. I have faith. But my faith did not cure the situations mentioned.

I believe in miracles.
But I also believe in claiming miracles wherever I see them. Claiming to the world that all you have to do is believe, a miracle WILL happen, you WILL be healed and live, has it's different interpretations.

Some interpret this to mean very literally, that your life will be spared on this earth if you believe (enough).

Yep. I snuck in that word, enough, because that's pretty much what they are saying.

Then there's my personal interpretation: I believe that miracles are performed everyday by God, and sometimes, we get to be a part of that. I also believe it's our faith that re-frames our eyes to see the miracles. Whether they be miracles of physical healing or heart healing (eternal healing).

To me, there's a big difference between physical and heart healing.

Physical healing is obvious. The cancer is gone! You've made a full recovery from your car accident! You can walk!

There was once a girl in our youth group, in a wheel chair, and her only way of communicating was through typing on her small device. She was the sweetest. I sat next to her and the leader told us to talk about miracles and what kind of miracles there are. So I turned to her and asked her that question. She slowly typed the words, "Do you ever think God could make me walk?" I didn't know how to answer her. At that point, my dad (who was strong in his faith) died of cancer a few years back, and frankly, I became bitter with "miracles". I knew they happened, but not to me. So I responded to this girl who locked her eyes on me the best she could, "Maybe some day. You never know." I forced a smile, but wanted to hang my head low.

Years passed and I sat at a graduation ceremony. The names were endlessly called and I began to drown it out. But then, out of nowhere, the crowd started roaring! The role calling had ceased for this moment, and there she was. With walker in hand, that precious girl from youth group, walking across that stage and took her own diploma. I get teary just thinking about it.

The heart healing goes so much deeper. This is where "the Body" really comes into play in my life. I've seen miracles, but I've also seen suffering and death. This kind of healing is life long. People are put into your life that give you Jesus' love. It's those moments when things didn't go your way, but they turned out to be a blessing. It's the times when you meet someone and they share with you a story that was so encouraging to you, and now you can walk more confident that you are, indeed, loved. It's those times when that woman who was abused and dehumanized, realizes that she is so very precious. It's when a piece of heaven is brought to earth and the Body coming together as it should. That's a miracle.

And God knows I can't wait to find that ultimate healing that comes in the end. As Marcus Mumford wrote in his song,
"And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but release your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there
with Grace in your heart and flowers in your hair."

Open your eyes to the miracles all around you. Embrace the now. Love on each other.
~
When I heard that once strong man say those words, I responded, "When Dad got sick, we prayed for 2 things: That he be healed. And that we would be prepared for the journey ahead. Our prayers were answered."
~
My dad is now healed as he sits in paradise. And we are still standing on our crippled legs. It's not a matter of having enough faith to be healed. It's a matter of having the faith that opens your eyes and reaches you further passed the physical healing into the heart healing. Both are real. Neither should be used against anyone, judging them on their own faith. Don't be defeated by any absence of physical healing, when heart healing is always happening.







6 comments:

  1. Sweetheart, you have, once again, inspired and enriched me. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and God's wisdom. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a powerful post. Thank you for sharing your story! My mom has been sick since I was born, and I am now her caregiver. I do believe in healing, but you are so correct in not losing hope when we don't experience the manifestation of healing here on earth. Earth life is short. Heaven is long! I have also been encouraged by Joe Laws's new book, Held By The Hand Of God: Why Am I Alive. My grandma, who I lived with most of my life, went to be with Jesus in 2001. His book has given me comfort in knowing that our deceased loved ones are happy. You can find the author's website here: http://heldbythehandofgod.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story as well. I will have to look for that book sometime. Sounds great. Thanks for the tip and link.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome :-). I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete