Wednesday, April 22, 2009

First and Final Honeymoon

My dad was famous for his love of storms in our family. When it rained, he'd make sure to be a part of it in someway, whether he be out in his garage working or just simply sitting and listening to the rain fall. He'd have his radio going, listening to any alerts. He made storms fun for all of us, and only if there was no lightning, he would let us run out in the rain and we'd all get soaked. I loved that. Getting soaked by rain is the most funnest thing. We'd get soaked, then come in and change our clothes, and cuddle up in heavy blankets, to get nice and warm. It was a tradition to watch the sky when a storm was coming. This love that he had, completely rubbed off on me. I love rain and storms and gloomy days. They bring a smile to my face and always make me think of him. anyway-
Seattle is known to be notorious for rain. When my mom and dad knew that he was not going to be here for much longer, they crammed in the time to take their honeymoon. They never got a real one, cause there were kids to take care of, and I was born shortly after, then twins, and then life never stopped. Well, they forced life to stop due to Dad's illness, so they went on that honeymoon that they never got to take. Where, you ask? The City of Rain...... Seattle.

When they got there they had to rent a vehicle. The first vehicle that was chosen for them was a convertible with leather seats. Dad hated it, so Mom had to sacrifice her dream car for a normal car with normal material. Then Dad was comfy and happy. It was a well-known thing that Dad hated leather seats, even with furniture, but Mom loved it all, but Mom had to sacrifice it, because Dad couldn't stand it. So they were off...... they went all around Seattle, with many sitting breaks because of Dad's pain in his legs. They saw the famous Space Needle, they rode on a boat, they spent some time at a beach full of Dad's favorite skipping rocks. I had told him to bring me back a shell, but there was no shells in sight. Only skipping rocks and sand. They went through this City of Des Moines, of course Dad got pictures.

I don't know exactly what went on in that trip, but I do know that they salvaged as much as they could of the trip. Trying to breathe in every moment, as Mom probably cried behind many of the scenes. I couldn't imagine being in her place. Knowing you will be a widow very soon, and the man you so much love, will not be with you. Yes, of course, she shall see him again, but as her brother.

For me, that's the hardest thing to think about when you think about dying. I love my husband so much that I would want to be forever one with him. And the thought of not being his wife, but his sister, is, honestly, unnerving. But I have to trust my Creator and Savior, when He says that we will be in paradise with Him.

Back to Mom and Dad: They were ready to come home when it was all over. Did the trip live up to their expectations?? Of course, NOT. IT DID NOT RAIN........ not one drop..... isn't it ironic? ( I love that song) anyway, they came home, however, to thunderstorms and tornado warnings, so much so, that we feared their safe arrival home. They couldn't believe it, that they came home to what they were pursuing elsewhere. That sets things up for a good analogy too.

Expectations in places other than home. Do not go pursuing things of this world when this world is not our home. This world will die. You should be pursuing things of our home, things of the heavenly realm, pursue God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, because in these things we will have our eternal treasure. In these things we will have peace and hope and love, .... the things that truly matter. If you must chase the rain, chase it well. So well that you get yourself ahead of the storm, so you will be prepared for what lies ahead, lest it trample you.



Dad found one little 1/2 in. clam shell and brought it home to me. It was the only one he could find. I treasured that for many years until one day I found it shattered into many pieces. It broke my heart, but just like him, I had to let it go, and not hold onto things I can not keep. That is one of the hardest things about being human.

But as always it continues to rain..... healing my soul with it's cool, fresh water from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment