Thursday, April 28, 2016

Depression: I stopped making my bed...


I stopped making my bed...



Depression.

An old friend. Sometimes she visits when I expect her to. A situation may call for her and she’ll be there, faithfully by my side. And I’m okay that.

Then there’s the times when I’m feeling okay for the most part. Everything is as well as to be expected. I’m not having a horrible day, but then I can’t quite peg why it’s not necessarily a good day either. I call it a funk. But it’s her. She’s there. Depression.

I can’t answer why. She’s just there. Doesn’t even knock to come in. She just walks through the door. Most times, I don’t even hear her come in. She’s pretty sly.

But when she does come, she’s the only company I can handle. There’s the lucky lucky few that can dwell in my bubble when she’s with me. The words that go through my mind when she’s around are:

Small. Burden. Unworthy. Unloved. Despair. Alone. Out of Control. Ghost. Unable. Cold. Numb. Self-directed anger. Anxiety. Conspiracies. Forgotten. 

The other night I went to bed fully aware I was depressed. Then in my despair, I noticed my blankets. I then realized it had been so many days since I stopped making my bed. It snuck up on me. I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal. For the most part it IS truly a small thing. But what it translated to me was that little red flag that she was stepping over that threshold from my mind (something I can't control) to my heart (something I'm able to control better). A while ago, I started making my bed. It became a goal, that thing in the morning I could do. No matter my pain or fatigue, I could make my bed. It gave me that little piece of my humanity back; to get me through the day. So when I went back to bed completely drained and in pain, fatigued or feeling horrible and defeated (no matter the time of day), my bed was still made. I had done that with my own hands. “Kailan was here,” it whispers to me. And it comforts me.

So when I realized my bed had been neglected, I resolved to make sure that I make my bed in the morning. And I did. I took that piece back.

It doesn’t make the depression go away. She’s much too stubborn, I can't stop her from coming. But she understands she is not wanted. 


And that’s where I want her.

13 comments:

  1. Can long-distance hugs help? If so, I'm sending. Hell, I'm sending anyway! HHHHHHUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness!! Yes!! I'm hugging you back!!!

      Delete
  2. Sending hugs and well. Glad you were able to take a piece back. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I to suffer with depression and anxiety. It stinks but your not alone. Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an accomplishment to admit it. Hugs back!!

      Delete
  4. Whenever we change our life from one fairly stable situation to a new, less stable part of our life, I enter into a very quiet place inside myself, trying to make the adjustment. It isn't comparable to what you face, but I can understand a little bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That quiet place is what I'm working on. Takes practice. But I have a great therapist! I'm sure with all your knowledge and experiences, you've known what I talk about.

      Delete
  5. I know why she visits you. You have had so much loss in your life from a very young girl and even until now. I think sometimes our bodies shut down so we are forced to heal. I love you more than I even have words for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That a big piece of it for sure. I love you too momma.

      Delete
  6. I know why she visits you. You have had so much loss in your life from a very young girl and even until now. I think sometimes our bodies shut down so we are forced to heal. I love you more than I even have words for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kailan, I am blessed to be one of the few who gets to break through this bubble. She is an unwanted guest that you and I have put up with for a long time. I've learned through it that she isn't you and you are not her. She is our common foe. I love how we do our best to ignore her together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you my sweet Yesh. I am so thankful for you every day.

      Delete