Monday, August 26, 2013

The Prince and His Heart

I am so proud of my son. He's not perfect. He is an airhead at times, and doesn't always look where he's going, but he is probably one of the deepest kids I've ever talked to.

I think he has selective observance. Yeah... I'll call it that. He thinks about deep issues and what things mean, and how people behave. Can't tell you how many theological discussions I've had with this little boy. But in the same token, he is not observant enough to realize that "if I throw this rock at this tree and miss, I may hit my little sister square in the forehead..." Poor little sister.. true story.

Just recently, we had a little misunderstanding with another person that involved Isaiah being accused of something he wasn't guilty of. The whole ordeal led to hard conversations that were worked out, but leaving Isaiah with a heavy heart. He came to me and asked to speak with the other person involved because he needed that resolve, to be able to here it for himself. I told him that he should talk with them because that's truly what it means to "make things right with someone." After wiping his tears, I assured him he'd feel better after he spoke with the other.

The next day I was talking with this other person about his desire to speak with them. We talked at length about the kind of boy he was and how truly special he is to be able to think this deep on these issues. He takes, what we expect him to keep at "kid surface" knowledge and dives it deep into an understanding that is far beyond his years. He just amazes me at times. The person I was talking with felt bad about unintentionally making him feel such a weight as this, but I responded with, "you know, though.. it's good for him to work this out like this because it's a huge life lesson for him. Even though it's a heart ache for him, with all the things that little boy has gone through with our whole family (with all our baby drama), his character is being shaped because of it."

Truly, I didn't used to be so quick to think that way. I always wanted (and still want) to protect my kids from heartache like this, but I feel I've been forced by uncontrollable circumstances to use and embrace hardships, making it a life lesson that they will remember. I've come a long way to trying not to be a bitter person, but with this situation, for some reason, it came more naturally to slide into my "embrace the pain" mode and make it work.

He got to have his conversation that he so desired. I asked him about it, later this morning and how he felt now. He responded, "I feel a little better, but I still have some hurt but I think that's good because I will always have this memory. I know now what it feels like to be misjudged. And now I can help others who are misjudged and encourage them. I can encourage them to make it right by talking it out with the other person."

Oh, son... you make your momma proud. You aren't perfect, you are a little weird (which I think is endearing), you act so much like your silly father, but you are truly one of a kind. God has so much in store for him. I wish I could protect him from the trials that he will face because of what God has in store, but I trust he'll always know in his heart, that he is a child of God.



He's dressing like the Doctor... good kid, right there!


This is how we entertain eachother while we wait... 







3 comments:

  1. Oh my word. This made me tear up. Your family is incredible, and while I don't like the nature of learning through pain - like you, I am learning to embrace the beauty that inevitably results. Thanks for being you, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaiah shared with me last Friday the situation you are speaking of and he said, "I'm just not sure they love me the same now...I'm going to talk to them so I know for sure". He was just so sincere and resolved in his mind about what he needed to do. I love him soooooooo much.

    ReplyDelete