Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Day and all it's Monstrosities

Picture taken by Emily Crall Photography  www.emilycrall.com

You always start days off like V day, thinking. "I'm gonna clean the house and actually iron his clothes, and he will love it!" but the expectation turned out to be too much for me yesterday.

I had a whole post written yesterday to describe my feelings for this "holiday" (or whatever you want to call it) It started with one subject, had a middle subject, then went on to another....It had all my opinions about how I have a love/hate relationship with V day. How I'm never big on the day, but somehow the feelings creep in that you have to make it extra special still. We never really do anything fancy, however, I did remind my husband before he left for work yesterday that I expect chocolates the next day when they go on sale. It's a tradition, don't touch it.

Then I stopped writing because I realized how much my writing wasn't making sense. My headache was getting bad and I was so tired from lack of sleep the night before. My toddlers (there's 2 of them) were being toddlers and extra whiny. My older kids (there's 2 more) were fighting constantly. And don't forget the baby that needs to wake up and eat every 3 hours. I was beyond drained and my headache only got worse. The older kids finally made me snap. I yelled at them.... badly. I felt like a monster unleashed as I desperately wanted them to just shut. up. All of this activity overwhelmed me to the point of depression.

oh right. Happy Valentine's Day!

..... not gonna happen. Not the way I wanted it to. My husband was going to come home to a messy house, dishes in the sink, same un-ironed clothes, crazy kids that were probably still recovering from my tantrum, and a monster wife who is shoving her head in the couch to get some quiet otherwise she'll puke from the splitting headache.

I texted him while he was at work to warn him. "I'm so sorry. I'm so tired I'm getting a headache and it's making me grumpy. This is my pre-apology."

I began crying so much. Feeling like a failure mom for not disciplining my kids more properly. I felt like a failure wife because I never pick up the damn iron to make his clothes ready for work. I'm making my sweet husband come home to a dirty house and I wasn't ready to give him a "nice wife" for Valentine's Day. With all this "failure-ness" all I had left was my honesty.

I texted him once more. "I'm a monster"

I sent the kids to their beds, the "good" ones watched TV, and I used the little energy I had left to feed the baby and we all waited for Dad to come home. My tears never stopped as my failure rate rang in my ears... or was the ringing my migraine? It was a "potato potata" moment.

So the time finally came when my KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR came through the door to SAVE US ALL!

"Emergency Monster Extraction Kit"
I have to brag about how awesome he is. He brought the very dinner I was craving. It was like he read my mind! Then he gives me a present.                                                           ----------------->





This spoke volumes to my heart. It had enough honesty and humor that it completely broke my funk. What did it have in it, you ask?
  ~chocolate, summer sausage, cheese, crackers, headache medicine, and WINE!~

 My tears dried and I was able to laugh about it. After eating dinner my headache went away. We put the kids to bed and he let us watch "Austenland" for the first time.... I know, gals.... he's the best, right?

It turned out to be a humbling honest night with lots of nothing but love, at it's finest. I thank God for my graceful husband. I love that we can be so honest with each other.

My husband and I do have a great relationship, but that doesn't mean we don't have any trials. I believe that because of the trials, we are great.

Picture taken by Emily Crall Photography.  www.emilycrall.com

*Professional photographs of us two awesome people were taken by Emily Crall Photography. She is so good at what she does, especially for this camera-shy girl. :) You can check out her website at www.emilycrall.com or visit her blog here. I will be sprinkling more photos of us throughout the next several blog posts! I just LOVE these pictures! Thanks so much Emily!


 

2 comments: