Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ruth's (Home Birth After Cesarean) Story!

Starting Wednesday, Nov. 13th. I started having contractions that were 10 minutes apart. They weren't painful, but they were intense. I knew that this could be the start of my pre-labor/early labor journey.

Another day passed with little change. They would be anywhere from 10-20 minutes apart. However, Day 3 was a little different. The contractions finally started to move just a little closer at 7-10 minutes apart but they came with pain.This confused me, especially being so early in labor. After some investigation and consulting with my midwife, we agreed that the pain was from my scar adhesion's from my c-section, 4 years ago, 2 deliveries ago. The pain was sharp with cramping in the incision area up the bottom of my belly. This made me very nervous for what labor would be like as I was in the throws of active labor. I had not had ANY of this pain during Naomi's birth. (previous VBAC)

I sent Josh to work in the morning, not wanting to stir panic of "IT's TIME!" just yet. I remember, hugging him good-bye saying, "I want to have a baby today." Noon rolled around and I became very anxious, being alone with all 4 kids, having painful contractions that still remained too far for active labor. He came home early, making me a priority since he felt that this was indeed real labor anyway.

When he came home to me the contractions started getting a little closer. The kids started getting very excited and hyper.... which didn't set well with me at the time since the contractions were painful already, so I stowed away in the bathroom and soaked in hot water while Josh started readying the birth pool for me in the living room. Isaiah sat with me, writing down the times of my contractions. Eve helped tidy the house, keeping Naomi (our 20 month old) away from me. Tesh was in her own little world, I'm not even really all that sure what she was doing at that time.

We started calling family members that wanted to witness the birth. I kept my midwife in the loop of how I was doing by texting. There was a point where she came around 2pm when contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. It seemed to me things were, all of the sudden, moving pretty quickly. When she came, she checked me, and said I was dilated to 5/6 cm. I was relieved at that news, but knew I may have a ways to go, concerning my history of longer active labors.


I got in my pool, and she sat on my couch, pulling a novel out to read while she let me labor the way I wanted to, but staying close for any need I may have. (my sister in law just informed me the book she was reading was completely in German! haha "nothing like a light read while waiting to deliver a baby!)

The pool felt faithfully great, easing some of that pain I was having, but it didn't take it away. That pain was beyond what the buoyancy of the water could do. However, I had the greatest relief being on my hands and knees during contractions so with the work of both, I made it at least bearable.

People started piling in the house; moms, sisters, nieces, a cousin, a friend. The house became full for this "Birthday Party". My sister in law's started making the birthday cake that would be used to celebrate once the baby was born. Our homemade beef stew was thawing on the kitchen counter, waiting for some extra cooking in case I grew hungry during labor or if I wanted to wait till afterwards.

Although I did start to get a little hungry, labor was moving so fast, that I felt I didn't have a good chance to really eat, but I did keep sipping on some water. I started feeling some good pressure and the midwife and I agreed that it would help me to go ahead and have her break my water if I was near the end. I was dilated to 8, so she went ahead and broke my water at about 4pm.

As the contractions grew more intense, so did the pain. I stayed in my pool, and my husband never left my face. With each contraction, his gentle voice was there to remind me to relax my face, to breathe slowly. There was a point where he knew I needed some extra comfort and he started reading the scriptures I had put on the walls. My eyes were closed most of labor at this point, so he read what I couldn't see, out loud to me. It made me want to cry as I remembered the One who has not left me at all and who has remained faithful, seeing me through this pregnancy.

Still being on my hands and knees, the pressure was too great, so I flipped over in a recline as I labored those last few contractions that were bringing baby down, readying my time to push. I remembered my husband and his desire to help deliver this one, so I let him go and ordered my mother in law, who I knew was right behind him, to take his place holding my hands, so he could move to a favorable place to catch the baby.

My body started pushing, so I joined in, encouraging the end result. :) In just 2 or 3 contractions, baby's head was out, and Josh (along with the midwife) grabbed our daughter's body as she shot out of me into the water, and brought her to my chest. I opened my eyes for the first time in a while when I felt that little girl's warm body on top of mine. She was beautiful with lots of dark hair. The room broke into an excited roar as I took those first few breaths of relief that it was over and she was in my arms. I checked to make sure she was still a girl :) It was 4:46pm, November 15th.

Ruth Michael Wing is her name. She stayed calm and quiet almost the whole time. Her cord pulsated for quite a while, so the midwife got to work right away in sucking her out since she wasn't taking those first few breaths and cries yet. I remained calm as I knew this was normal with waiting to cut the cord, so the midwife worked on her while she remained on my chest, as I also held the cord, keeping her updated on whether or not it was still pulsating.

Ruth was just too happy in my arms. I held her in disbelief. She was finally here and she looked so healthy. I looked around the room, realizing all 4 of my children were staring at me and Ruth. Their eyes spoke it all. Amazement. Love. Awe. They couldn't wait to touch her. They all came near, reaching over the water to touch her head or her belly.

The cord finally calmed down so Daddy could cut it and shortly after that I delivered my placenta. (I'll blog shortly about what I did with said placenta :) heh)

Ruth was given to her Daddy shortly after that, so I could get out of the pool and get my small tear repaired. That was fun.... So once that was done, I got my diaper on and sat myself on the rocking chair, watching the midwife measure Ruth. I was given my beef stew and was oblivious to that fact that I had my feet propped up on the side of the pool that still held my "wonderful" water as I scarfed down my awesome stew.

Ruth weighed 8lb 3oz!!!! ( I normally spit out 6 pounders, so this was a miracle) She was 21 inches long. She still remained this quiet little thing. By the time she was done measuring, I was done scarfing down my food, she gave Ruth to me so I could start nursing her. What a champ! She did great and has remained a great nurser. Another blessing. I sat and nursed her, the midwife left with her instructions for the next few days, and the cake was brought out and everyone starting singing the birthday song. :)

I LOVED being home and in this comfortable place with such love all around me, and my own God-given esteem taking care of my brand new baby.
Ruth and I, just a few hours after she was born! 

Next post will be pictures!!! :)
---"From An Eight Year Old's Perspective"  :) He did a really good job!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kailan!! What a beautiful birth story! I am so happy and can't wait to meet Ruth!! Love love love! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can't wait for you to meet her either! You'll have to come sometime soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. You are such a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete